Order Now

How to get CEng Professional Registration Via IET

IET is a license provided to expert technicians and engineers by the Engineering Council and this is considered as a reward for the professional engineering qualifications that are described in UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC). In addition, this is also considered as a specialized dignity for the engineers. Licensed bodies like the ‘Engineering Councils’, provide dignity for the engineers who have competence, knowledge, and commitment to the activity of professionalism. IET has the license to award the followings:
  1. Incorporated Engineer (IEng)
  2. Chartered Engineer (CEng)
  3. ICT Technicians (ICT Tech)
  4. Engineering Technicians (EngTech

CEng/IEng Professional Registration Via IET/ Career Manager


Professional registration via IET needs an application to be submitted to the higher authority licensed bodies. These applications are furthermore evaluated in terms of UK-SPEC commitment statements and competence. Certain requirements are associated with applying for the CEng application via IET, out of which some are described as follows:
  1. Detailed information about employment history in its own field
  2. Assessment of competency for professional registration
  3. Designation of the development plan and accountability diagram
  4. Technical report and professional service

Registration checklist

The proper format of the professional registration form is designated through the headings as designed below:
  • Provision of personal detailed information
Personal information of an individual includes address, provision of contact number, mail id and also mentioning the current employment status of that particular.
  • Education
    1. The latest update about the education of an engineer is required to be mentioned. Furthermore, higher academic qualification is also to be denoted in this section. Apart from this, you should also mention if you are already registered with IET, like BEng, M.Sc., Meng, HNC, and many more like these.
    2. If any work-based learning, internship, or training is provided to that individual before is also to be mentioned in the education section in the application form. If the qualifications are not included in the ‘drop-down’, click on the ‘others’ section.
    3. Provision of a copy of further education certificates (if any) along with the transcript of it. A signature of one supporter is at least essential to provide the originality of documents, especially for the ones who gained qualifications from 2013 onwards.

What is Career Manager Path for CEng and IEng?

You can apply to become a Chartered Engineer (CEng) in two ways:
  1. Online via Career Manager, the IET’s online skills development and recording tool for a reduced application fee.
  2. Via a paper application form which can be requested from our website.
  3. Your application will be assessed against the UK-SPEC competence and commitment statements. Please ensure you are aware of these requirements.

The UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC) sets out the competence and commitment required for registration as an Engineering Technician (EngTech), Incorporated Engineer (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng). It also includes examples of activities that demonstrate the required competence and commitment.
There are five generic areas of competence and commitment for all registrants, which broadly cover:
  • A – Knowledge and understanding
  • B – Design and development of processes, systems, services, and products
  • C – Responsibility, management or leadership
  • D – Communication and interpersonal skills
  • E – Professional commitment

The areas above are set out separately for each title and constitute the threshold generic standards. To assist potential registrants, their advisers, and professional review interviewers in deciding which title an individual should apply for, a matrix comparing the requirements for all three titles are also included in UK-SPEC.
What do I need to submit?
Evidence of your competence and commitment – follow the UK-SPEC competence framework for guidance on how to do this.
You’ll also need:
  1. one person to support your application. You may have two additional supporters.
  2. higher education certificates
  3. an accountability diagram
  4. of your development action plan.
Should you need any further information/details regarding UK-SPEC commitment statements and competence via IET, please do not hesitate to contact us for quick assistance.